Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Reflections of a Radio Talk Show Host (of AM1300 KAZN) -- Part IV

This is part four of the memoir of my four-year tour of duty as a radio talk show host for AM1300 (KAZN).

Throughout my years of hosting the program, I had invited many Republican and Democratic politicians to the program. Nobody cared to come. For Republicans, they probably didn't see the point of trying to work in the Chinese area. For Democrats, they already had 80% of the votes, without much effort. If they messed with the situation, the only likelihood was for them to lose votes, so they didn't want to get their feet wet.

One day in late April, I came across a campaign sign of Jack Orswell, the Republican nominee for House, against the incumbent Judy Chu. I made a contact for an interview. To my surprise, Jack accepted, but he had other engagement that Wednesday (May 11), so I had to wait for May 18 to interview him. At the end of my May 11 program, I announced that Jack would be my guest of my May 18 program. I did not think much about this.

The next day, May 19, the programming director called my law office and asked me to cancel the program. He told me that the interview was in violation with the FCC regulations. I told him that I didn't think that my invitation of Jack would violate any regulations. In addition, I told him that Jack's acceptance would increase the chance for Judy Chu to accept my invitation. I also emphasized to him that it was important for the Chinese population to know who they were voting for. He said that he needed to get approval from New York and asked me to draft an email to be sent to New York for approval.

On Friday, the response came back from New York asking the matter to be decided by the programming director, another host with no management responsibilities (as far as I know), and a vice president for marketing, to make sure that the invitation in conformance with the FCC regulations. I thought that the matter was settled since New York did not have any problem with doing a program with Jack.

However, that was not the end of this. On Monday, the station put out a notice to all hosts that all interviews of political candidates were henceforth forbidden due to the FCC regulations. I asked the station to show me legal authorities, which I was quite certain that they didn't exist, or apply the principle ex post facto (since my invitation predated the published policy that all invitations to all political candidates were forbidden).

This type of activities had a clear Chinese characteristics. Since China never has the rule of law, law is whatever the authority says. So, for a couple of thousands of years, the authority has been making rules to fit the instant situation. When the tomorrow's situation changes, they would change the law to fit their interests. In today's China, for instance, the court, the prosecution, and the police are run by the so-called political legal commission, which almost routinely headed by the police chief. In other words, the police chief determines the future of prosecutors and court officials, such as their promotion, salary, etc. The outcome is this type of practice, administrative edict in the form of universal rule.

The Chinese legal system is set up that way because its overwhelming priority for a couple of thousands of years has been to suppress disagreements. People in China today are still being sentenced to administrative detentions in China without the legal process for nothing but joking about the government behaviors.

Of course, the KAZN management could not make up laws like the Chinese police could do. But thanks to the federal government, which produces ever increasing complex laws and regulations, they could simply name their laws and make them whatever they like them to be to carry out their policies, which, just like in China, were tightly kept secrets.

After seeing the edict that all political interviews are forbidden, I could only imagine how many times the FCC regulations have been used by the station management to carry out its policies with unspeakable reasons.

According to the programming director, pursuant to the New York instruction, both the other host and the marketing VP voted no to my hosting of the show. Therefore, the decision was made by the majority. His decision does not even matter.

I immediately asked the other host, who said that he has no objection. Since the objection appear to come solely from a marketing vice president, I then asked programming director again to either show the authorities (statutes and legal precedence) of my violation, or ask the marketing people to stand down to let me do my program to inform our listeners about the people they are voting for.

That was Monday.

On Tuesday morning all fronts were quiet.

In Tuesday afternoon, the programming director forwarded to me an email from the station manager, who had henceforth not appeared, that I was fired, effective immediately, without reason.

My insistence of not canceling Jack has several reasons. First, Jack was the first politician who agreed to do the program by facing the Chinese-speaking public. That was precious. Second, more importantly, as I knew that the invitation did not violate any laws, I could not give Jack the FCC regulations as the reason for canceling the interview. In other words, if I cancel, I had to make up a lie to Jack.

Many people think that lawyers and liars, and thus it is part of my daily work to make up lies. For them, lawyer and liar are simply the same word with different spellings. But, contrary to the opinion, many people refuse to believe that many lawyers are squeeky clean. When so many people tell me that all lawyers are liars, I simply ask them this question: If all the lawyers are bad, how can the United States be a reasonable society (comparatively speaking)? Nobody has given me a satisfatory answer. The problem, of course, is that, when they look for a lawyer, they want someone to paint them a beautiful picture in the form of a guarentee. For lawyers, of course, lying is a behavior that gets easier and easier as one starts to practice it, until one practice that for no purposes whatsoever. In any case, I don't lie and don't want to start with Jack.

In addition, I didn't believe that any management should put their subordinates in the situation that they had to lie.

The most important reason for me to insist on seeing the FCC Regulation that I was violating is, of course, the fact that we need to inform the Chinese-speaking community about the political candidates whom they are voting for. That is the reason that I do the radio show in the first place. If I have to refrain from discussing political matters, why would I do the program in the first place?

During the conversation, one thing worth nothing is that the programming manager mentioned to me that Jack could buy advertising time from the station. Probably he wanted to get me to sell advertisements for the station. I didn't know the next step. Going to restaurant and extol food that I hate?

In any case, from a practical aspect, I did not give in, and put the choice in the hand of the station management, which made the move and fired me.

A very interesting question is why would the station so enthusiastically against interviewing political candidates. There are many people guessing the reasons on the Internet in response to my dismissal. I certainly have my conjecture, but a conjecture is only a conjecture.

Although the station fired me summarily and immediately, I did not have a chance to say goodbye to my radio listeners. However, as all my programs are uploaded to YouTube, on May 18, I posted my goodbye message, the response was nothing less than overwhelming and heartwarming. Many suggested that I continue the program over the Internet. This time, the Chinese government trolls held back. So there was almost no negative voices. That was moving.

The funny part of all this is that, if Jack had time to do the show on May 11, my interviewing him would become a fait accompli and the station would have no way to undo what is already done.

So as the fate goes, my radio career was over.

I believe that everybody should serve his (or her) community, with almost four years' of service, I have discharged that duty. Now, after I have earned my tranquility, I can go after some more pleasant pursuits in life.

All my KAZN programming can be found at:

http://www.youtube.com/user/pujiezheng

(... to be continued)

First published on July 13, 2016

Contact information:
Facebookhttp://www.facebook.com/pujie.zheng
Blog: http://pujielaw.blogspot.com/
Past AM1300 (KAZN) programs in Chinese: http://www.youtube.com/user/pujiezheng


For law firm business (business, patent, trademark, and business-based immigration), please write to info@pujielaw.com or call 626-279-7200.

No comments:

Post a Comment