Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Reflections of a Radio Talk Show Host (of AM1300 KAZN) -- Part I

When I got a call from the local radio station (AM1300-KAZN) for hosting a talk-show program in 2012, I said yes, not realizing that I was going to get an education. Now, almost four years later, when I was fired by the station, it is the time to recollect and reflect. So, this is my memoir.

First, the purpose for me to work for the station is to spread certain words to the Chinese immigrants. Most of the Chinese immigrants are from China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, or some other area in Asia, where the political systems were much more authoritarian, if not dictatorship, comparing to the U.S. In authoritarian systems, the people are not supposed to stand up and ask questions, let alone their rights. They are supposed to first get on to the good sides of everyone else, especially the politicians, and then somehow work out their issues in a coherent manner. That philosophy produces the opaque decision-making system as we are seeing, from under-the-table deals to outright bribery. The best could be seen in places like Japan and Taiwan, and the worst, China.

On the contrary, in an open system, such as the United States, with the protection of free speech and free assembly, and ultimately the right to bear arms, it is the masses that make the final decisions. In addition, the majority opinions are limited by the fundamental beliefs codified in the constitution. After spending 30 years in the U.S., I understood that the Chinese people’s shortcomings, brought about by the lack of the tradition of openness, e.g., free speech and assembly, resulting in the default mentality that people want to work out with the government by first submitting to their superiority, which might have been the reason that 80% of the Chinese people, whose medium earning is higher than the white, voted for Obama and his big government policies, because they don’t have the concept of weak government and a population empowered by freedom and rule of law.

Second, somehow, it is still the main stream thoughts among many Chinese people that, since they are one of the minorities, they should vote with the minority block for big government (less freedom), heavy regulations (less economic vitality), and large welfare expenses (broken families), etc., not realizing that these typical minority positions do not necessarily agree with their best interests. The core of the problem, of course, is still that the Chinese, throughout their history, have no experience with the free people under limited government, living under the ruled of law. The default position is always big government. The only issue is how to make an authoritarian government benevolent. They never studied the nature of a monopolistic power under either political science or economics.

Of course, a lack of the understanding of the most basic economics principles also contribute to the lopsided voting record. People are too busy making money for themselves to be bothered by figuring out and understanding the best policies to the society as a whole. In fact, when I discussed this with some professors of economics, they appeared to be so specialized that they cannot discuss these most fundamental issues intelligently.

The result of such lack of understanding of the American system is that the Chinese people think that, once they voted for the big government, the big government will do what they promised, i.e., do the best for their interests, rather than that of the government and government employees. They do not know that in an adversarial system like the one we have in the U.S., giving up means giving up. When the California legislature tried to change the California constitution to allow discrimination against the Chinese at the college entrance (the so-called SCA5, or Senate Constitutional Amendment No. 5), the change was proposed by no other than Ed Hernandez, who represented part of the largest Chinese population in the country. After passage, the Chinese community demonstrated against the constitutional change. Mr. Hernandez came out and said that he was surprised. I take that he had thought that the Chinese people will warmly welcome the discrimination against their children.

Whatever the problems with the Chinese people. The solution appears to be in the effort to spread the words. It is certain problematic that the radio station does not pay for me to do the program, which supports the more than 20 minutes of commercials, inserted into my programs. But in any case, I take the invitation of the radio station as an opportunity. All time spent was treated as my pro bono outlay.

As I start working on the radio. I quickly come to the realization that the minds of the Chinese population, probably just like for any population, change slowly. For instance, last summer (as I have told the story in my last posting), I explained Hamlet to my children, because I could not find any material that would do the trick. In every program throughout the summer, I asked the local Chinese to join in, so I can answer their questions and interact with them. In the end, not one K-12 from the radio station’s coverage area joined. When I asked some parents about their opinions, they gave me the widely believed myth that their children have no problems with their English, because they speak fluently without accent. In addition, they told me that K-12 math is so simple that they don’t need to be bothered with that either.

If it is hard to convince people that English and math are the two most important subject to the success of our children tête-à-têtes, doing so through radio is probably hopeless. My experience proved that point. Despite that, I had the belief that, in a non-linear system, small perturbations, over time, could cause significant changes. That may still be true. However, my four years of effort does not appear to create any discernible result.

My other confidence in a positive result is that each one of these Chinese immigrant, at some point of time and for some reason, decided to abandon his or her known world voluntarily and chose to come to a totally strange country voluntarily. I thought that such a crowd must be open-minded people, always ready to know more about America. In the end, I don’t have anything to show for my confidence. I have fans, loyal fans, but they hold similar ideas before my program. Certainly, my program has made changes to some, but too few to make a difference.

Of course, according to the non-linear functions, a butterfly’s disturbance could cause a tornado. According to reasons, people who voluntarily chose to come to America should want to know something about this country. But the work is the hard, or not impossible. One of the reasons is that, in the Chinese community, any voice could be easily drowned out by noises. For instance, the number of various organizations in the Chinese community is insane, but the goal for those organizations is almost always to help someone making money, i.e., a form of marketing, not for common good. In fact, most of the preschools in the Chinese communities are set up as nonprofit, but traded between “owners” just like for-profit companies. Among this mess, many people form organizations just so they could be paid by the Chinese consulate, since it is the policy of the Chinese government to buy out the NGOs in the U.S. After being paid by the Chinese government, these organizations are put under the control of the consulate’s agent, otherwise known as the Chinese American United General Association.

In China, people are brainwashed since preschool, till high school. Besides math questions, they must be able to answer correctly questions in other field. For instance, their opinion must be that the Chinese Communist Party is the only solution for China; that the democracy must be implemented in China gradually (i.e., not in my life time); the sole purpose of the U.S. foreign policy toward China is to destroy China, especially its economy; Japan must be pacified by the Chinese military; etc., etc. After giving the correct answers for so many years, many Chinese people actually believe the communist indoctrination. Once, the political indoctrination ends at college, but recently, political education is strengthened in colleges where snitches on government payroll would report those professors or students spreading “incorrect” ideas.

An interesting thing is that many Americans, after living in China for many years, have no clue about the Chinese way of thinking, because they are not in the brainwashing system. Or to put it in another way, the Chinese government has another way to brainwash them, just like all the Confucius schools, and the effort to control Chinese language media all over the world.

First things first, although I live in the Chinese community for years, my employers have been the so-called main-stream companies. When I was interviewed by the station manager, she told me that she could not pay me much. I said that it is okay. I am willing to take the program without pay, as long as she allows me to say my piece.

After settling in, I found that I was not at all the only one making $10 an hour. Other than the $10 per hour standard rate, there are many people in the station not paid at all. I have heard that the Chinese employers exploit the Chinese employees in the Chinese community, but seeing is believing. I never thought that the situation could be this bad. When I questioned this matter, the employees just told me that people working in the station could not find jobs outside the Chinese community so they have to accept the reality. Where is Mr. Obama's union machine at the place it is needed?

But, at least for me, I was settling down. From 9 - 10 p.m. every Wednesday, I made $10 for the hour that I was in front of the microphone. For the time that I prepared for the program, I got nothing.

(... to be continued)

First published on June 8, 2016

Contact information:
Facebookhttp://www.facebook.com/pujie.zheng
Blog: http://pujielaw.blogspot.com/
Past AM1300 (KAZN) programs in Chinese: http://www.youtube.com/user/pujiezheng

For law firm business (business, patent, trademark, and business-based immigration), please write to info@pujielaw.com or call 626-279-7200.

No comments:

Post a Comment